Steps to open interior water valve to sprinkler system
**Please wait to open the water valve until the technician arrives and first makes necessary adjustments to your backflow. Your technician will give you direction that you may proceed after the adjustments are completed. This is to AVOID water flooding your backyard or leaking into your foundation.**
** The technician will review these steps with you. We encourage you to ask questions. If you are having difficulty the technician will gladly take the time to help you through the entire process. **
- Assure that main water drain is closed – it is a faucet and should be next to the interior shutoff valve.
- Typically, the main water drain is in the basement.
- Usually, it is close to the water meter where your water main comes into the house and the outdoor plumbing goes out.
- Sometimes, it is very close to an open drain in the floor.
- Occasionally it can be found in plumbing lines overhead.
- The pipe is normally larger than most in the house. (1″ or larger.)
- Locate the interior shutoff valve.
- Look for a bright colored Winterization Shutoff Tag (Grapids colors: orange or blue)
- Turn the valve open SLOWLY (At least 60 seconds from cracking it open to wide open) …
- You will be able to hear the water rush through the valve.
- Observe the environment around you to assure that water is not leaking.
- Below are pictures of common valve handles that you will see in your basement.
- Once you hear the water stop running the main is as full as it can be filled. This may happen quickly if our tech has closed the exterior water shut off
- Provide access to the controller (It is typically in the garage)
- What you can expect when the technician arrives:
- Upon arrival, the technician will review their work order for controller and backflow location.
- Don’t be surprised if you see the technician walk around the house before coming to the front door. They will close the bottom valve and test cocks on your backflow.
- The technician will knock on your front door and step back six feet or more.
- The technician will say hello and identify themselves.
- The technician will review these instructions with you, explain the rest of the startup process, and answer your questions.
- The technician will patiently wait for you to confirm that you have opened the water valve. Take your time and don’t hesitate to ask questions.
- Please let the technician know the best way to communicate with you while they service your sprinkler system (i.e., front door or cell phone).
- The technician will communicate with you before leaving to summarize and/or advise you about your system and to collect for services.
Ball Valve Gate Valve PVC Ball Valve